- 1 pound Mexican chorizo, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Homemade Tortilla Chips, recipe below, or large, restaurant style corn tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups grated pepper jack
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 small white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 5 large jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and chopped, or to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
In a large skillet, cook the chorizo, garlic, and cumin, stirring, over medium-high heat until the sausage is browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the pinto beans, chili powder, salt, and 1 to 1 1/2 cups water (depending on the moisture in the beans). Cook over medium heat until warmed through, smashing with the back of a heavy wooden spoon or potato masher until chunky/smooth. Remove from the heat.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
On a large, oval ovenproof platter or in a large baking dish, spread 1 layer of chips. Top with a layer of 1/2 of the beans, then 1/2 of the sausage, cheeses, onion rings, and chopped jalapenos. Repeat with another layer of chips, beans, sausage, cheese, onions and jalapenos. Bake until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is hot, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and lime juice, with a pinch of salt. Drizzle over the nachos, garnish with cilantro, and serve immediately.
Homemade Tortilla Chips:
9 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
4 cups corn or vegetable oil
Essence, recipe follows
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
In batches, add the tortillas to the oil, being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until golden brown, turning once, about 1 minute. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with Essence. Serve warm or use to make nachos.
Yield: 3 dozen chips
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup